Sunday, January 10, 2016

1 Nephi 2:16: "soften my heart"

Nephi is one of our great Book of Mormon heroes. Our traditional image of him starts as a youth full of courage and faith, naturally obedient to his father and sharply contrasting with his older brothers. He later becomes a bold and courageous prophet-leader, father of a nation of righteousness that would bear his name,

Early in the Book of Mormon we have a very brief and interesting glimpse into Nephi's young development. As Nephi's father Lehi follows the command of God to take his family into the wilderness and begins to teach his sons about his visions and expectation, Laman and Lemuel murmur and struggle, "because they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them" (1 Ne 2:12). Nephi's reaction is quite different:
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers. (1 Nephi 2:16)
Nephi's "great desires" worked within him to cause him to seek righteousness. I'm very intrigued by his use of the phrase "soften my heart" to describe what happened to him. Somehow I've never considered that Nephi might have had a hard heart, one that needed softening. Certainly he doesn't match the profile of his descendant Amulek, who many years later would describe his own struggle to come to an understanding of gospel teachings:
Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart.... (Alma 10:6)
Note that Amulek hardened his own heart; but Nephi's heart was softened by God. I think that is significant. A hard heart is one that can't be penetrated, that is impervious to spiritual influences—and that is a choice we make, rejecting spiritual urgings. If we are, like Nephi, filled with "great desires" to understand God and follow His path, then it must be a divine act of atonement that causes a heart to change, to become soft and pliable, open to receiving divine blessings. In all the places where scriptural accounts talk about a change of heart, even a "mighty change" of heart, it seems man is always the recipient of that action, after he shows his willingness to become a true disciple.

I don't think Nephi had a particularly hard heart.  But I do think the process of softening is ongoing and continual in our lives. My heart can be made softer than it is now, as I allow more of God's influence to work upon me. Just like Nephi, if I "cry unto the Lord" in sincerity, he will "visit me" and help to bring about that change. That visit doesn't need to be a corporeal one; the purifying influence of God's spirit is enough to soften a willing heart.

1 comment:

  1. Are you the author, Dave? I also seek for words and phrases that I don't commonly use and try to understand their meaning, and thus understand the meaning of the scriptures as well. In these first few chapters of I Nephi are the words "goodly" and "constrained by the spirit" that got me to think. Thanks for posting the above.

    ReplyDelete